The Ophthalmological Society of Nigeria, Edo State Chapter, participated actively in the 2017 WSD celebrations with health promotion, screening, and media events in the electronic media (Television and Radio) aimed at creating awareness and sensitizing the public about eye health issues as well as rendering service to members of the public.
OSN members mainly in Benin City and Irrua carried out the activities.
Media events: we had four Television programmes and one Radio programme;
1. Health Plus NTA Benin – A health documentary which featured a 30-minute interview on common eye diseases and care of the eyes with Dr. Rita O. Momoh (OSN, Edo Chapter Chairperson) was aired on 12th October 2017
2. This Morning on ITV- An early morning, live, talk show on Independent Television Network which featured Dr. Femi Obazee and Dr. Nosa Ogbevoen as co-guests with an Optometrist representing their association was aired from 8.00am on World Sight Day.
3. An hour long Live talk -show programme on NTA, Iruekpen, on Thursday 12 th October, featured two Ophthalmologists based in Irrua and a nurse, who educated members of the public about eye health and answered questions from a phone-in audience.
4. Living with disabilities- a morning programme on Edo Broadcasting Service featured a discussion about eye health and management of visual impairment and blindness with Dr. John Paul Okoro on Friday 13 October 2017
5. Healthy Living- on ITV Radio featured Dr Efe Akpata in a live phone-in programme the following Thursday, 19 th October, where she communicated in local language (pidgeon English) with a phone in audience.
Two eye health teams led by Dr. Anita Alikah and Dr Wilson Ovienra respectively, visited Don Bosco Science Academy, Ukhun and Lumen Christi International High School, Uromi, Edo State, where they gave a presentation/ lecture on Eye Health to students and staff. In addition, 45 students and staff were screened in Don Bosco Science Academy. Members of management of the University of Benin Teaching Hospital also had their eyes screened during this year’s World Sight Day as a service, by the members of OSN, Edo State Chapter.
OSN, Edo State